Sunday, January 12, 2014

Veggie Breakfast Scramble [Paleo] [Vegetarian]

Hi Everyone!

So I know not everyone needs to be told how to cook scrambled eggs or vegetables or whatever, but I still like to post these recipes as inspiration for any of you who want to amp up your breakfast/lunch/dinner game.

Yesterday I realized I had a 5 pound bag of russet potatoes that were going to start sprouting weird things if I didn't use them soon, so I decided to do a breakfast scramble.

You can modify this any way you like, by adding meat, cheese, other veggies, etc.

I also don't have a cheese grater so I had to cut the potatoes. I ALSO have OCD so the potatoes had to be neatly cut into small cubes.

Lets get started!

Ingredients: 

1. one or two potatoes (whatever kind you have, I'm not personally convinced that potatoes with different names taste different but who cares)

2. Eggs or egg whites (Matt is convinced that eating egg yolks will give him heart disease so I dutifully separate his egg whites every damn morning. Matt, if you are reading this, EGG YOLKS WILL NOT KILL YOU.

3. Favorite veggies (we used peppers, shallots, and mushrooms. As a side note, if you want to do broccoli or asparagus in this, you need to steam them first because they won't cook right in the egg mixture.)

4. Cheese if you want. I used cheese on mine. I fucking love cheese.

5. Meat if you want. I used leftover chicken breasts.


Give your mushrooms a rough chop.



Cut the pepper. The seeds are gross and the white part is gross--you don't want that. Cut around it and cut the extra white part off. 

Fact of the day: What makes peppers spicy is a waxy compound called capsaicin that coats the seeds of the peppers. When you cut peppers and then pick your nose or rub your eyes, it burns. To prevent this, rub your hands together with some olive oil after you cut your peppers. Oil dissolves oil--problem solved!



I had some leftover chicken breasts that I cut up for this too, but you don't need to use meat. 


Cut the sides off your potatoes...


and then the other two sides. 


Cut the ends off to make a regangle shaped thing. 


Then slice it so you get sheets of potato like this. 


Cut those into sticks....


And dice!! 
Or you could use a cheese grater, but I only have a small one because when I have 20 dollars in my pocket I'm not going to spend it on a damn cheese grater. 



Heat up some oil in a skillet. I used my stainless steel, which is new and I'm still getting the hang of. If you use these instead of non stick, its very important to heat it up well before adding the oil, and then letting the oil heat up before you add the food. 


Toss in the potatoes and let them cook a bit. It will take kind of a while because there is a lot of moisture in the potatoes that has to get released. 


Add the veggies and chicken if you used it. 
Let it cook for about 5-6 minutes. 


Dump in your egg/egg white mixture!


and...SCRAMBLE. 


Serve with some fresh chopped parsley on a paper plate because you are okay with being bad for the environment just this once. 


No comments:

Post a Comment