Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Everything salsa



Because sometimes you just want to use all of the things. 


Start off with some diced tomato. Roma tomates were on sale for .99/lb so I had a ton and diced them myself, but honestly, winter tomatoes seriously lack in flavor and you would be just as well off using canned diced tomatoes. 



Next I cut up some green onion. These are awesome and have a bit of a different flavor than red or white onion--not as pungant but still flavorful. 

You wanna cut off the little root things on the ends that look like alien fingers....

Then cut the white part all the way up to the green leaves. You can use the green leaves too--they are similar to chives in texture, but I saved mine for egg drop soup I'm going to make, and I also save them for making vegetable stock (that recipe was posted yesterday, check it out!)



I also had shallot, so I minced that up and did some garlic too. I don't usually put garlic in my salsa--I'm a purist in that sense, but I decided this is everything salsa so I'm going to put in everything. 

Green pepper....


dice!




and I had some leftover anaheim pepper from the chili I made so that went in too. 



lime juice (duh)


and a tablespoon of salt. coarse kosher salt is the best to use but I was lazy and used this instead. 



Mix er up...



and its ready to eat! I made a breakfast taco and put it in there. 

Directions:

1. warm a tortilla in a skillet
2. crack some eggs/egg whites over it
3. cover so they start to cook, for about one minute
4. flip it over, egg side down, and let it cook for about 45 seconds
5. flip it back over, egg side up now
6. put salsa, black beans, and chicken on half
7. fold it over and press with the spatula and let it cook
8. flip it to crisp the other side of the tortilla
9. done!














No comments:

Post a Comment