Thursday, January 30, 2014

Home made cilantro tomato sauce with whole grain pasta

I saw a few recipes online for making your own tomato sauce, so I figured I would give it a shot. I love cilantro, and I know cilantro goes in salsa, so I decided to put it in my tomato sauce too. If you were cursed with the cilantro-tastes-like-soap gene, I'm so sorry. Just leave it out.

Ingredients:

1. one can crushed tomatoes
2. basil
3. oregano
4. 1 tbsp sugar
5. half cup chopped fresh cilantro
6. one shallot or 1/4 cup diced onion
7. one clove of minced garlic


heat some oil in a sauce pan. 


mince up your garlic and onions. honestly I can't believe I haven't chopped a finger off yet--onions make my eyes water and I have a bad tendency to close my eyes while I'm chopping. 


let them sweat in the pan for about 5-8 minutes. 


and dump in the tomatoes!


Now add a tablespoon of sugar to balance out the acidity of the tomatoes. 


and don't spill it on your counter like I did .


now add a good heaping tablespoon of basil, oregano, and salt. 


and then your chopped cilantro! stir and let it simmer for 15-20 mns. 


serve over whole wheat pasta. 


so delicious. 


bonus: you can also serve it with garlic bread for a dipping sauce. I make my own--mix one stick of softened butter with minced garlic, salt, and parsley if you have it. spread it on the inside of a french loaf or sourdough and bake at 275 for 10-15 mns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment