Sunday, January 12, 2014

Make your own pesto that is better than noodles. I promise.

So I used to be addicted to noodles and company's pesto cavatappi, until I realized it sucked and I could make it way better. Here's how you do it.

Ingredients: 

1. A package (or two) of basil
2. Some garlic
3. Shredded mozzarella and romano, or parmesan
4. Olive oil
5. Pine nuts (these are expensive, I paid 10 bucks for a 4 oz pack. If you want to throw down for them, do it, but they're not necessary.)

You will also need a blender or a food processor. I recommend a food processor over a blender if you have it--blenders are literally the suckiest things ever and I hate them. If you don't have either of those, chop the stuff up by hand and be proud of yourself. 




Ingredients Shot!


How sad is this basil? Ugh. Pick off the leaves....


And toss them in the blender. Then save some for mojitos later. 


Now, you can roast your pine nuts if you want. Put them in a skillet with some oil and wait a few minutes til they turn brownish. This is completely unnecessary. 



Look at this garlic! Its "elephant" garlic and it is HUGE. This one clove actually made my pesto too garlicy, it was like burning my mouth. Did you know that onions and garlic are in the same family? Now you do. They are considered "volatile" because of their flavor. I am considered "volatile" because of my tendency to scream at the TV during tense moments of the sopranos. 

anyways. 


Cut the end off...



Put your knife on it and whack it with your fist. 


It will break up into pieces like this. Now you can easily give it a good rough chop. 


Put the garlic and pine nuts in your blender or food processor. 


Shred up your cheese. 


yisssssss. Put that in the blender too. 


On the top of your blender or food processor there should be a hole in the cover. Use this hole to pour olive oil in slowly as you blend. 


I don't know how much I used. Maybe a cup? I eyeball everything....sorry!


Unfortunately, pesto does not give you much bang for your buck. One pack of basil leaves gave me enough pesto for two people. 


Serve that over your favorite noodles with chopped mushroom and tomato. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment