Sunday, January 12, 2014

Some random stuff!


Alright, I've got a few random things for you today and then I'm gonna show you the easiest way to cook asparagus, which is the best vegetable EVER. It never grew in our garden because it takes like 3 years for it to make shoots, so I just buy it. Lets go!

Tip 1: Store your fresh herbs in a glass with some water, then cover them with plastic wrap or a bag. 
Fridge: cilantro and parsley. (Cilantro loves cool temps)
Counter: Basil and rosemary. These will turn to shit if you keep them too cold. 

I just bought a cilantro plant at the grocery store so we will see how that goes.....



Get a pretty basket at salvation army or steal one from your mom. (moms always have baskets everywhere). Put your veggies in it--this will remind you to use them!

My general rule of thumb is that I store most of my veggies on the counter until I use part of them, then I put them in a bag and then into the fridge.

With bell peppers, put a little pice of paper towel in the bag with the pepper to absorb moisture. 
Garlic and Onions use some of their flavor when they are refrigerated, so its up to you. I refrigerate mine to help with the eye watering when I cut them. 
Shallots I leave on the counter because they have a more mild flavor anyway. 
Tomatoes should really be left on the counter, so if you are gonna cut into one, use all of it. You can also buy roma tomatoes which are smaller. 
Celery and Carrots stay in the fridge in the crisper drawer, though I doubt that drawer actually keeps them crisp. 



Alright, lets talk about asparagus! It really is cooked best when it is steamed. I happened to receive this steamer for christmas as part of a stainless steel cookware set, but if you dont have one, just put an inch of water in the bottom of the pot and boil it. 


Looks medieval. 


The bottom of asparagus is stringy and tough to chew. I chop it off about two inches up. Don't feel bad, that part is seriously just garbage anyway. 


Turn the water down to medium high and toss your asparagus in the steamer, or if you don't have one, put the stems in the water and stand the asparagus up against the sides of the pot. Cover it and steam for about 7 mns. 


When it starts to get wilty, its done! You can serve it with oil and lemon pepper, garlic, salt and pepper, parmesan cheese, whatever you want. 


Matt's breakfast...dry toast, egg whites with cajun seasoning, asparagus and pesto to dip the asparagus in. 


No comments:

Post a Comment