Thursday, February 27, 2014

Criskpy Kale Salad with Chicken

So I may have a new dinner staple with this one....it was so good. I hate lettuce so I never eat salad, but you gotta get those greens. This meal is like a protein and green stuffed super health bomb, minus the salt. And the oil. But a little bit of oil will not kill you.

Ingredients:

1. One bunch kale
2. Lemon pepper
3. Grapeseed or olive oil
4. vegetables: brussels sprouts, zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli
5. Chicken breast or chicken cutlets

*Preheat oven to 350

Start by getting your kale ready. I forgot to post a picture, but It's on the right side of this blog under "popular posts." Just rip the leaves off the stem and drizzle oil over it, mix it around, sprinkle on salt. 

Chop up those veggies. In retrospect, I wouldn't have used the zucchini because it gets kind of mushy, but it was still good. Cut your brussels sprouts in half too--it helps them cook better. You can also microwave them before hand to get the party started. 


Spread the veggies in a pan with some oil so they don't stick, and add..
Lemon pepper! Mine has salt in it too...obviously. 


I added juice from two lemon wedges. Lemon juice is the best. 


Mince up some garlic (or use garlic powder, who cares) and sprinkle it over the veggies....


Then put the raw chicken right on top. This seems to violate every health food rule I have ever learned, but I'm getting too used to one pan cooking to care. 

Sprinkle some more seasoning on it. I used one of the pre-mixed mccormick's seasonings, the garlic herb one. 


READY


I put it all in on 350. I let the kale cook for 15 mns, and the chicken/veggies for 20. 

The time your chicken takes will depend on how big the pieces are. 

I did an experiment and cooked some kale right on a cookie sheet without foil, and some on a sheet WITH foil. 

If you cook the kale on tin foil, it wont get crispy as quickly because tin foil doesn't really get that hot--something about surface area and thin-ness. I would just put it right on a pan with the oil, no foil. 

Remember: with oil, no foil.  


DONE! Mine burned. oops. Put the kale in a bowl. 


Grab the chicken and veggies....


Dump them in and mix it up. 



So good!


No comments:

Post a Comment