Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Roasted Chicken + Veggie Cream Sauce and Rice

This was actually so good. You could also make it with noodles instead of rice, which might make more sense? I don't know. I have 5 pounds of jasmine rice and no where to go so rice it was tonight. Now my only dilemma is that I'm full so I can't eat more, and I have tons of leftovers, but what if they don't keep well?

UGH. 

ok, lets get to it. 

Ingredients: (This recipe made about 4 servings of cream and rice)

SAUCE

1. veggies of your choice: I used cauliflower, broccoli, and asparagus. (about 3 cups worth, chopped)
2. 3 cups veggie or chicken broth (I used my home made veggie broth)
3. 2 tbsp kosher salt

CHICKEN

1. boneless skinless chicken breasts (I only had one large one thawed)
2. garlic powder
3. pepper
4. kosher salt
5. cayenne pepper
6. McCormicks roasted garlic and herb seasoning 

RICE 

1. 1 and 1/2 cup jasmine rice (if you try to make rice and it sucks, its because youre not using jasmine rice. jasmine rice is the only way to go). 
2. 1 and 1/2 cup water, or enough to barely cover the rice


Bring rice and water to a low boil.
Turn heat down to low.
Simmer for 20 mns with the LID ON. You want the steam to cook the rice. 



Boil the broth and then add the chopped veggies. Cook them until they are super easy to poke a fork into. 




Douse your chicken in seasonings and cook it at about 375 for 25 mns, or until done. 


Now whip out your immersion blender. If you don't have one, get one, and in the mean time use a blender or food processor if you must. Blend it up. 

Its gonna look gross. 


Now, add some heavy cream. If you don't want to, add butter. If you don't want to do that, add corn starch. Pick one. 


It should lighten up a bit. Take it off the heat, stir it, and add salt. Lots of salt! It should start to thicken up. 


And there it is! This was good because of all the flavor layering--the home made broth, the vegetables, the chicken and seasonings......I'm definitely bringing leftovers to work tomorrow!








No comments:

Post a Comment